Mi'kmaq Cancer Care Strategy
The Mi’kmaw Cancer Care Strategy is a 3-year funded initiative through the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer. The Union of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq manages all aspects of the project on behalf of all 13 Mi’kmaw communities in Nova Scotia. Our project objectives are based on 5 core pillars:
- Creation of a Mi’kmaq Nation Cancer Care Strategy for NS;
- Health Promotion, to increase community awareness around pathways to health living and prevention of cancer;
- Increasing uptake in cancer screening and improving early detection of cancer;
- Improving outcomes in community-based support and care coordination;
- promoting improvements in treatment, palliative-care, and end-of-life care continuums for Mi’kmaq patients.